Monday, December 10, 2012

The Benefits of Being a "Regular"

Tonight, something wonderful happened.

I have a little stand just about 200m up the road from the front gate of my school that sells the most delicious pancakes with sesame seeds and a spicy glaze on top. They make them fresh in the mornings and throughout the day, but I usually only get them at night when I'm not terribly hungry.

Both the man and the woman who operate the stand know of my love of the spicy pancake. They also make a non-spicy version of this pancake, which is a bit bland but still filling.

Tonight I came to the stand for a quick bite (my tutoring schedule on Monday's doesn't give me a long dinner break, so I usually grab something on the way home in between sessions). While they did have the regular pancakes, they were all out of the spicy version. I used my limited Chinese to confirm this, and then went ahead and bought the non-spicy type.

This man did something that made me irrationally happy. He, remembering my preference, brought out the spicy glaze and put some on my non-spicy pancake, just because he knew I'd like it.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the highlight of my day. 

1 comment: